We are proud to be a School of Sanctuary. This scheme encourages schools to create as welcoming an environment as possible for all of our families, especially those who may be seeking asylum or have refugee status. We believe that our involvement in this scheme enhances our ability to provide the best possible support to the children and families in our care.
Please see the School of Sanctuary Website for more information:
Each month we celebrate and learn about a different language. We warmly welcome any involvement from parents and families and encourage them to get involved, however big or small the contribution. Below is some further information about Language of the Month:
LANGUAGE OF THE MONTH 2022-23
Here are the languages for the following year, the idea of language of the month is to have fun celebrating a variety of language and cultures particularly those of children in your class:
|November/December||World Cup challenge|
|May||Eurovision theme- European languages|
For Each Language, here are some suggested ideas for celebrating language of the month:
- Use Newbury Park site to learn key phrases in the language. http://www.newburyparkschool.net/langofmonth/index.html
- Use You Tube for counting stories and traditional stories in language of the month.
- Invite children who speak the language to teach others.
- Invite parents in to read a traditional story from their language.
- Cook or bake food from the country associated with the language.
- Find the countries where the language is spoken on the map.
- Create flags and posters celebrating the language.
- Add work done by the children to the central Language of the Month board.
- Learn songs in a new language.
- Look at what celebrations take place in the country of language of the month.
- Use PENPals to listen to words and stories in other languages.
We love to recognise the rich diversity of language, culture and religion in our school and we have various activities across the school year, which promote and enable our pupils to share their culture in school; we have multicultural weeks, art activities, workshops and other events which allow our community to get together and celebrate.